Thursday, January 04, 2007

Seahawks Playoff Challenge Announcement

I like to integrate eating challenges and sporting events, it is after all, a harmonic relationship. Last year in one of my first posts on this blog, I vowed to eat 40 hot dogs throughout the duration of Super Bowl XL in honor of the Seattle Seahawks winning (my optimistic prognostication) the 40th Super Bowl.

The game was close in the first half and I had put down 18 hot dogs through half time. The second half was devastating though with poor play by the Hawks, deplorable officiating, and my stomach swelling, I only ate 2 more hot dogs to finish with 20 and the Seahawks lost the Super bowl to Pittsburg 21-10. I will take part of the blame for this loss as I did not have the stomach capacity and like the Seahawks, I did not have the will to push through the pain of the game.

This year the Seahawks are in the playoffs again but have struggled mightily to get there going 9-7 and losing 3 of there last 4 games. I think it is apparent that the Hawks will need a lot more help this year to make it back to the Super Bowl and fortunately I am much better equipped now to provide them with the support they need.

That is why I am instituting a new challenge for the playoffs this season. This year, I vow to eat a hot dog for every point the Seahawks score in the playoffs.

The stipulations of the challenge are as follows:

  1. I will eat a hot dog (hot dog and bun) for every point the Seahawks score during each game.
  2. I must complete the hot dogs for each point scored before the Seahawks score again with the exception of when the Seahawks score a touchdown (6 points), I will wait until the extra-point (1 or 2 points) is made or missed to start eating. The result will be 6 (if XP is missed), 7 (1-point XP is made), or 8 (2-point XP made) HDBs to eat before the Seahawks' next point is scored. Field goals = 3 HDBs, Safetys = 2 HDBs.
  3. If the Seahawks go an entire quarter without scoring, I must eat 4 hot dogs before the start of the next quarter. If the Seahawks do not score in the fourth quarter and the game ends (there is no overtime) I will not eat 4 additional hot dogs since the game will already be decided and I can do no more to help.
  4. If and when the Seahawks win, I will eat 1 additional victory hot dog at my own leisure.
  5. If the Seahawks lose I will throw hot dogs at the TV and drink beer.

The Seahawks first playoff game is this Saturday (5 pm PST) against the Dallas Cowboys. The Hawks are missing three of their four regular defensive backs with both starters out with injuries and the Cowboys have been horrible defensively of late. With both defenses struggling, this game could turn in to a shootout and could take at least 30 points to win which will equal many hot dogs consumed. I look forward to the game and the challenge and an opportunity to support my boys.

I will document this challenge real time with pictures and updates on my blog this Saturday. Go Hawks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

So your #2 rule is:

I must complete the hot dogs for each point scored before the Seahawks score again. i.e. if the Seahawks score a touchdown (6 points) and an extra point (1 point) I must finish 7 hot dogs before the Seahawks score again.

Doesn't that mean if they score a touchdown then you have to finish 6 dogs before they make the PAT?

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

That's a good point stickler. I have adjusted the wording to clarify the action after a touchdown is scored. Thanks.