Wednesday, September 17, 2008

2008 Groz-with-Gas-a-thon Salmon Record

The first eating endeavor of my three day weekend was a success. I managed to cram down 6 pounds of King salmon in 8 minutes to establish a new Major League Eating record. I have to admit, I had no idea what to expect and as soon as I started eating, I knew 6 pounds would be a challenge. Salmon is actually a very hearty food and since it is low in fat and very high in protein it is natually a dry food. Fortunately, there were no bones so that was not an issue. I was hoping to be able to take a drink of liquids maybe every other swallow but once it was in my mouth there was no way I could get it down without liquids unless I wasted valuable time chewing.

I was eating at a pace of about 1 pound per minute for the first 3 minutes but I knew I would need to be at around 4 pounds at the midway point in order to reach 6 pounds. Well, I fell behind pace as my jaw started to tire a bit and with only one minute left I had just started my 6th one pound plate. I really had to cram and swallow wrecklessly in the last minute. I was afraid to let the live audience, the radio audience and myself down so I was able to get it done.



That was close, I was relieved to get it done

Click here to view the Groz-with-Gas show page with links to pics and videos from the event


A good look at the hearty salmon here - they were plated in one pound increments


The last minute was grueling, I am starting my 6th pound here


After the contest, Bison and I were able to chill and talk about how he will make his combeack

1 comment:

Dave S. said...

Awesome. You ate more salmon than most grizzly bears do during the same amount of time.