Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grub-a-Palooza: Weekend of Eating



On Friday, September 12, I will embark on my own personal three day grub-a-palooza. There are several eaters on the circuit scheduled to do the triple this weekend either with Kolaches in Houston on Friday, Grits in Shreveport on Saturday, and Jalapenos in Chicago on Sunday (Pat Bertoletti, Hall Hunt) or Kolaches, Grits, and Krystals in Knoxville on Sunday (Crazy Legs), or Cannolis in NY on Friday, Grits, and Krystals (Eater X). But no other eater will be duplicating the triple I will attempt.

Tomorrow, I will be a guest performer at the local charity fundraiser, the Groz-with-Gas-a-thon for the third straight year. This year, I am attempting to bring pride to my hometown of Seattle by setting a new record for Salmon consumption. The previous two years I have attempted and succeeded in setting records in Spot Shrimp, jalapenos, and habaneros. Mind you, I am only competing against myself, but I like to make the rules as hard as they can be and being that the exhibition is all for charity gives me motivation to do my best and to set a record that is worthy.

The salmon eating rules will be:
8 minute contest length
I must eat a minimum of 6 pounds in order for the record to be sanctioned

The salmon provided will be fresh gillnet caught King (AKA Chinook) Salmon caught in the Klamath river in Oregon. The very charitable and classy host restaurant, Anthony's, will provide 10 pounds of the cooked salmon for the event.

My goal is to eat all 10 pounds in the 8 minute time period. I have no idea if I can do it because honestly who could afford to practice eating that much salmon? As in years past, Ray the Bison Meduna will be on hand to be the official judge for the contest.
Click Here to listen to my 950 KJR interview from yesterday (9/10) to promote the eating exhibition with Groz and Gas.

Those who are interested can listen to the attempt live on the radio tomorrow (9/12) at 4:00 pm (PST) at 950kjr.com

I won't have much time to recover from the salmon eating exhibition because soon after I will be taking the red eye to Nashville, TN Friday evening to compete in the Krystal Square Off V qualifier on Saturday, September 13. This contest has really been my sole focus for the past month as I know the competition will be intense with Juliet Lee, Badlands, and Dr. BigTime all participating with thoughts of taking this title. This could be one of the closest contests on the qualifying circuit this year and I imagine it will take north of 50 burgers to have a chance. I can't wait to eat a Krystal and see what happens.

After the KSOV Nashville qualifier, I will be flying immediately to Chicago to get ready for the 2nd annual La Costena jalapeno eating championship to celebrate Mexican Independence day on Sunday, September 14. This contest had a lot of flare last year and a few surprises when they ran out of jalapenos 6 minutes in to the 8 minute contest. I was not pleased with my 5th place finish last year eating only 98 jalapenos so I have a lot to prove in this year's event.

3 days, 3 eating contests, 6,800 miles to travel, 24 minutes of eating = a lot to discover...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Non-tribal gillnetting the Klamath River in Oregon was banned many years ago. Is this a mistake or is there some sort of tribal netting going on there? If this is not tribal salmon (and I don't believe there is a tribe down there with gillnetting rights) you will be eating illegally caught salmon. Please let me know what you find out by posting a comment here or contact me at http://www.gillnetskill.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Virginia Ross, J.D.