Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Krystal Qualifier - Memphis 9/21/08

8 minute contest

Results:

1 - Rich the Locust LeFevre - 52
2 - Juris Dr. BigTime Shibiyama - 51
3 - Erik the Red Denmark - 50
4 - Crazy Legs Conti - 48

I have to bite my tongue a bit to write this recap. I still have the bitter taste like that of battery acid in my mouth from this contest and the Krystal circuit this year. Rich won the contest, he earned his spot at the finals in Memphis and I am sincerely happy for Rich, I will always root for Rich. I needed 51 to earn the Wildcard spot, I was deducted 2 burgers for stuffing at the end to deny me the Wildcard. I don't know what to say really, I don't think the deductions were justified, especially when considering the eating and judging that occurred on the rest of the qualifying circuit was not consistent. But that is what happened.

There were many circumstances on the Krystal circuit this year that did not go my way - if any of those circumstances go my way, I am in. I really don't want to re-live any of it so screw it I don't need to explain everything. One thing I do know is that I could have planned better and I could have and should eaten more so not to leave it up to circumstance. So in the end I have only myself to blame, I know that and I do.

It turned out that Sonya denied her Wildcard invitation to the finals for reasons unknown. So Crazy Legs is awarded her spot based on the fact that we both had a top result of 50 burgers but he ate more burgers, 48, in his second qualifier than me, 43. That is great, I am happy for Crazy Legs, but it is sad for the sport to see Sonya deciding to not go to the finals in Chattanooga. Even if I were offered the last spot, I am not sure I would have taken it based on my frustration with how things turned out this year. In the end, I probably would go just because it is a free ticket but honestly right now, I do not have a good taste in my mouth for Krystal competition. I am happy that there is an alternative Tamale eating contest this weekend in Lewisville, TX that I can still attend.

No comments: