Thursday, September 04, 2008

John Ascuaga's Nugget Rib Results - 8/27/08

John Ascuaga's Nugget Rib Championship Results - Reno, NV:

12 Minute contest (rank in parenthesis):

1 - Joey Jaws Chestnut (1) - 9.8 lbs. (WR), $2500
2 - Pat Deep Dish Bertoletti(2) - 7.4 lbs, $1500
3 - Erik the Red Denmark (12) - 4.7 lbs, $750
4 - Rich the Locust LeFevre (7) - 4.6 lbs, $250
5 - Ron the Optic Koch (NR) - 3.4 lbs
6 - Jason Erbivore Erb (34) - 2.8 lbs
7 - Shawn the Vacuum Kirby (48) - 2.5 lbs
8 - El Toro (41) - 2.2 lbs


my first 5 lb. tray of pork ribs still in tact

Great contest. Joey was dominate and impressive. The ribs were pork and were really flying off the bone. I knew early on in the contest that the Reno record of 7.0 lbs would be broken probably by both Pat and Joey. They ribs were served in 5 pound trays, Joey was on his fourth tray, Pat and Rich were on their third tray and I finsihed nearly two trays. Usually rib contests really come down to jaw stregth and tolerance, not so much capacity but I think a lot of us on stage felt more full than usual after this contest. I only ate 4.7 pounds but I started to feel pain with about 5 minutes left in the contest.

I feel fortunate to have edged out Rich by only an ounce and a half. Rich and I were standing on opposite ends of Joey and Pat so I really had no idea where he was during the contest but you know when a 12 minute contest comes down to a couple ounces, obviously every bite (or non-bite) mattered. Rich is so consistently good in all foods, especially in the rib discipline, he is really tough to beat but he gave me a chance in Reno and fortunately I took advantage. I still love ya Rich.

The only unfortunate aspect of this contest in my opinion is that it takes place on a Wednesday evening. I realize that the days of the week seem to not be important in places like Reno and Las Vegas, everyday may as well be Saturday in these places. But, the BBQ festival is huge and the weather is always perfect so I would love to have been able to hang out and celebrate with the natives a little longer.

Some pics:


Ron Koch made a tirumphant return to the Reno rib contest dressed as the Undertaker or maybe a Jedi. Looking very creepy either way.


pre-contest jitters before we take the stage


Pat has new glasses


Joey holding the 1st place trophy, the pig on top is classic


The crowd was rowdy and the Chestnut's were there to harrass the Joey challengers (Lucky and Paul Chestnut in lower left)

No comments: