Monday, October 30, 2006

Sky City Fry Bread - Phoenix AZ, 10/28/06

Results from Sky City Fry Bread Championship (IFOCE rank in paranthesis):

8 minute contest

1st - Erik the Red Denmark(12) - 9.75 (New World Record), $1500
2nd - Jalapeno Jed Donahue(18) - 8.5, $1000
3rd - Jason the Erbivore Erb(35) - 6.5, $500
4th - Tim Brown(49), 6.4
5th - Frank Wach(26), 6? (Not exactly sure)
5th - Wild Bill Myers(41), 6? (Not exactly sure)
7th - Andrew Skinny Boy Lane(36), 4.5


From L to R - Frank Wach, Jed, Erbivore and I grind through the fry bread
(photo published by Arizona Republic)

I know I am a little slow in updating this competition re-cap but I guess I just wanted to enjoy the victory for awhile. Winning always feels good and it is the best cure for losing (see Krystal qualifiers).

Just before I came out to the stage at the Arizona State fair where the competition would be held , there was a group of us eaters watching the Krystal Square Off finals (in Chattanooga, TN) on ESPN at a bar in the pavilion of the fair. We witnessed Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut go crazy on the Krystals with Kobayashi finally outlasting Joey again with 97 Krystals to Joey's 91. Damn, awesome performance from these two and everyone else in the contest quite frankly exceeded expectations. It is getting tougher and tougher to shock the world like Kobayashi did in 2001 when he ate 50 hot dogs but I have to say this year's Krystal totals by both Koby and Joey have to be up there as the second biggest shock in the history of the sport.

Meanwhile, back in Arizona after witnessing the eating display at the Krystal finals on TV, I felt a sense of pride, motivation, and kick-in-the-assidness (just made up this phrase). How could I possibly except the thought of losing after realizing that our sport of competitive eating had just received another jolt of energy and publicity? I couldn't is the answer.

As we were standing on the side of the stage getting ready for the introductions, they brought out the fry bread in stacks of 10 on a plate. They dumped a pile of powdered sugar on the top of the stack so only really the top couple had any significant amount of sugar on them. Looking at them, I figured I could proably eat about 20-30 depending on the density. When the contest started and I took my first bite, I knew that 20 would not be possible in 8 minutes. Although, each frisbee sized slice of bread probably only weighed between 6-7 oz., they were like rubber. Dipping the bread in water helped but since the bread is fried it didn't absorb much. So the key to the contest really was about jaw strength and swallowing technique. Chewing fast and swallowing chunks of bread consistently, I managed to get through the whole stack of fry bread (minus a quarter of the last slice).

When the final tallies were made and I was announced as the winner to the crowd, I received a nice ovation - the crowd was a bit rowdy at first cheering heavily for the locals and somewhat jeering at the professionals as they were announced but they were very kind to me. I felt very satisfied with my performance and the victory and somewhat vindicated for not making the Krystal finals. But this victory is just one step in my plan and my future goals in competitive eating, and although there may not be many contests in the next coming months, I do not plan to take any time off.

As a side note, I had hoped to get a chance to go by the Heart Attack Grill after the contest and try my luck at the quadruple bypass burger record set by Jed Donahue. I had exchanged emails with Jon Basso from the Grill and he notified me that they were only open on the weekdays from 11-9, which I found to be shocking considering the type of crowd and atmosphere I envisioned for the restaurant. Jon responded and told me that the Heart Attack Grill in Phoenix is currently a test pilot restaurant for a franchise store. He did also offer to open the restaurant special for me on that Saturday just so I could come by and give the burger a try but unfortunately I didn't get the email until I came back home to Seattle. Dang, next time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first big win. Who would have thought fry bread would be it. I told you early on that this contest would be a huge opportunity for your first win. Though I know you would have rather been at the krystal event this must still have felt great. Congrats again.

Anonymous said...

AZ is a fan of Comepetitive Eating. My sister (phoenix resident) said you were on the front page of the sports section and the local news covered the event.

Anonymous said...

That was really a great performance considering the consistency of the bread. I knew you had it in you and the added confidence this victory will bring will undoubtedly result in greater heights obtained in the future.

Anonymous said...

If you had to miss out on Krystals, you definitely did it in the right way by setting a new record! Congrats!

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Thanks Jake, Rich and Liz, I always appreciate your support. Hey Rich you almost beat Sonya two times in a row - great work my friend.

Hey Joey do you know what paper that was in AZ? The Republic? I did a couple of interviews with a woman from the Arizona Republic, I'd like to get a copy. By the way, can you just calm down a little bit and give us a chance to catch up? I know you won't you bastard. You were insane at Krystals.

Anonymous said...

Yo Erik, if you call the Az Republic they'll send you a copy of the Sunday edition for around 8 dollars. Good job by the way!! You looked like JAWS the way you were swallowing that bread in almost whole pieces. And in last seconds when you shoved an entire piece of bread in your mouth! lol That was crazy!! All I could do was watch in Envy.. Good choice doing the Fry Bread. More money for you then in the Krystals Finals. See you on the circuit big Homie..

Toro

Russell "The Black Hole" Blackwell said...

I also finished with 4 1/2 eaten, not that that amount earned me anything though, (and yes the stuff was like rubber). The frybread was unlike any I've ever eaten before.

I hope next year the competition exists, but that the bread is fresher. Then we can see (plates), plural the time, worth eaten by many of the competitors, including myself!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik,

I was wondering how does the IFOCE work when scheduling people in competitions. I like the first come first served signup method the IFOCE uses to let new talent have a chance to compete, but shouldn't they hold some spots for ranked eaters (at least in the top 20) so guys like you or Joey for example don't get left out of an event if you happen to sign up late. I ask because I heard you didn't get a spot in the Tropicana Meatball competition. I would think if Kobayashi wanted to compete at an event that was full they would find a way to include him...

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Hey Jake. The IFOCE really is pretty consistent with regulating how people get in to contests. You have to sign up in time to get in. Metaballs is the only contest I can remember that I wanted to be in and was too late to sign up or could not get in to. Of course exceptions could and should be made for Koby, Joey, or Sonya. When I eat 50 hot dogs then I will expect more.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik - are you going to be able to make it for posole on Saturday? There's a team pizza challenge in Albuquerque that we should hit!

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Hey Erb - that wasn't you? I wonder who is stealing your identity for a question like that? I am going to Posole however.