Thursday, August 24, 2006

Gyoza Results - L.A. 8/19/06

Results from GoldenPalace.net Gyoza championship, 8/19/06:

Time: 10 Minutes (IFOCE rank in paranthesis)

1st - Joey "Jaws" Chestnut(2) 212 gyoza $2500
2nd - Sonya the Black Widow Thomas(3) 210 gyoza $1500
3rd - Rich "The Locust" LeFevre(8) 162 gyoza $750
4th - Hall "Hollow Man" Hunt(15) 106 gyoza $250
5th - Erik the Red Denmark(12) 94 gyoza
? - El Toro Jimenez(39) 58 gyoza

Joey, Sonya, and Rich kicked some ass. With each gyoza being close to 1 oz. both Joey and Sonya ate around 12 pounds in 10 minutes. Damn. You know I really didn't feel too bad about this contest although I didn't win any money with the breakout being very top heavy. It was tough standing next to Joey and trying to keep up in the beginning, it took me a while to get in to any kind of rhthym, in fact the last plate was going down faster than the first. I definitely had more in the tank and just needed to wake up my insides.

This contest was at noon and I definitely prefer contests to be later in the day since I rarely eat much before noon on non-contest days. Anyway, if I get a chance to eat dumplings in a contest again, I will certainly be faster building on this experience.

Click Here to read a San Jose State Spartan newspaper article about the contest featuring Joey Chestnut and competitive eating in general.

No comments: