Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Deep Fried Asparagus - Stockton, CA 4/28/07

Results from the 10 minute contest (IFOCE rank in paranthesis):

1st - Joey "Jaws" Chestnut (2) - 8.6 lbs, $1500, 18 MLE points
2nd - Erik the Red Denmark(14) - 4.25 lbs, $500, 12 MLE points
3rd - Kevin Ross (NR) - 3.75 lbs., $250, 6 MLE points
4th - Jason Erbivore Erb (27) - 3.6 lbs, 4 MLE points
5th - Brickhouse Braunstein (36) - 3.5 lbs, 3 MLE points


Joey and I sweat out the final minute of the contest

I am not sure who finished 6-10, only the top 3 were announced at the contest. I am not positive about Erb and Braunstein but I was standing next to Erb in the contest and it looked like he and Kevin Ross were very close in amount eaten so I would give the nod to the Erbivore (my fantasy teammate). Congrats to Mr. Ross for a solid first time asparagus performance and taking home some cash.

The Stockton Asparagus Festival and the deep fried asparagus contest is a unique experience. Stockton is a nutty town, deep fried asparagus is a nutty food. I don't even think you can find deep fried asparagus anywhere but at this fair once a year. Last year, in preparartion for the contest, I tried to make fried asparagus at home - good luck unless you have the special batter and an industrial size deep fryar. After many failed attempts, I ended up just eating grease soaked asparagus. This year I would have the memory of last year to pull from, I wasn't going to try that again.

This was the first time that I have been in a repeat contest in my career - I guess my rookie season is finally over. Of course, I have competed in the same food multiple times - chicken wings, ribs, hot dogs, burgers, jalapenos, but never the same food at the same venue for the same contest - I think this is a distinct advantage. Last year I ate 4 pounds in 10 minutes and although I finished in 5th place and out of the money, this was the first contest where I felt like I really got in to a good rhythm of swallowing more than chewing and I was able to eat for the entire contest. I finally felt like I belonged there.

This year my expectations were much higher however. I did finish in 2nd place, which is an improvement and I ate 4.25 pounds, which is an improvement but really I expected more. The first one pound plate went down fast, about 1 minute 15 seconds, just a few seconds behind Joey. Before I go on let me tell you it was literally 95 degrees in Stockton on Saturday. I hven't been that overheated at a contest since the 4th of July at Coney Island, it was sweltering and my thick skin is still thawing out from the long sheath of the Seattle winter.

As I started in to the second plate it seemed as though my mouth shut down and lost all moisture, I don't know if it was the heat or the excitement or the nerves of not competing in so long but it suddenly turned in to a grind. Meanwhile Joey was picking up the pace and he just got in to sick rhythm. By the time my second plate was done he was already on plate 5 and Joey continued at about 1 pound per minute. In the end, Joey doubled my total. I was hoping to get down at least 6 pounds because I know I can. But listen, I am not going to be a bitch and complain, it was an awesome day, it felt great to be back at the table competing after four months off and to be able to take home second place.

This contest has to be one of my favorites. This years contest setup was even better with the addition of a 15-foot jumbotron screen next to the stage for the fans to follow the action. The trophy that Joey wins every year has to rival as one of the most creative and sought after trophies on the circuit, they really don't belong in his closet. The crowd was pumped up again despite the early start time (12:00 pm), the weather was rediculous, and the people in Stockton and the surrounding areas just love their asparagus. I heard a report that there would be 50,000 pounds of asparagus consumed at the two day festival this year! Amazing. I was proud to get a little piece of that and I will definitely be back next year to try for a little bigger piece.

Click here to view my Flickr album of the contest (pics taken by my friend Andrew Buck)

Click here to read the Recordnet.com article about the contest
Click here to watch the KCRA 3 video of the contest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Grease soaked asparagus" sounds so gross! I'm glad you didn't repeat that training exercise. You guys really did an amazing job in spite of the weather. I wish there were more "repeat" competitions; it's fun to see how people improve over their own scores.

steakbellie said...

Suddenly Erik the Red and Eric of thine Plaid arent rookies anymore.....

I'm very happy for you! 12MLE pts! It might take me the rest of the year to reach 12. Hey, thats not funny.

Anonymous said...

Erik great job... especially with such a long break. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you are the Nathan's qualifier in Daly City (San Francisco).