Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Showdown in Acoma, NM

This Saturday, August 26 there will be a showdown between all those seeking the endorphin rush of capsaicin filled jalapenos and the recognition of top pepper ingester. Don "Moses" Lerman has been talking a lot of smack with much of his verbal assertions being focused on beating me. At first I laughed at Don, I see it as a way to motivate himself beyond just trying to overcome the inner demons and confliction of a 15 minute jalapeno contest.

As Lerman continued with the verbal challenge I was still amused but also annoyed because he doesn't even have the respect to spell my name right (It's Erik, not Eric). But what should I do - respond to his attacks? I also don't think Don realized that not only will I be there to beat him but a very stacked field including Pat Bertoletti, Rich LeFevre, Jed Donahue, Jim Reeves, and Donovan Busta will be there to endure the jalapenos in search of victory and pottery. Responding to Don would mean that I was looking at him as a main rival but in actuality I think Pat, Rich, and Jed will be bigger obstacles. When Don learned of the others in the competition his tone changed a bit, he has backed down on his personal challenge to me knowing he would have more people to contend with.

So here is what I have to say to you Don - I hope you bring everything you have got left in your tank. But Jalapenos go down like grapes for me and if you think that 120 is going to win, you will be sadly mistaken. That will probably be good for 4th or 5th place. Do you have the guts to put down 50-60 more jalapenos Don? We'll see very soon. Feel free to call yourself the "Jalapeno King", you can call me Captain Capsicum. See you at the showdown....

I finished 2nd at the jalapeno contest in Laredo, TX.
in February, 06. I challenged Lerman to come to this contest
but he refused claiming health and financial problems

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik, tought luck in Reno and in New Mexico (though you did at least place in the money). I thought you had a shot to win one of those two, but with Joey Chestnut competing in a competition its already seems to be predetermined who will come in first, good luck in your next event!