Monday, June 26, 2006

Nathan's San Francisco Qualifier, June 24

Here are the bloody results from the contest:

1st - Jed the Jalapeno King Donahue(13) - 19.5 HDB's
2nd - Erik the Red Denmark(26) - 19 HDB's
3rd - Ron Koch(10) - 15 HDB's

Shit. I could leave the post at that honestly, that is how I feel about the contest. Not that I feel I did poorly in the contest, I didn't. Not that I think I fell way below my potetnial at that particular moment, I didn't. Could I have won that contest? Hell ya. San Fransisco was a mess on Saturday morning; there was a stubborn cloud cover that kept the temperature cool, I mean cold. The public crowd was rather small, IFOCE newbie Eddie was the MC for the event - he didn't suck, he did fine, but the flow of the contest was a little broken because it was Eddie's first contest and he clearly does not know that much about competitive eating. He claimed that Ron Koch has eaten 81 pounds of pasta, that I am from Denmark, and he almost started the contest before introducing Jed Donahue. He miss-pronounced the LeFevre's names (who were in attendance) as the LeFleur's.

Anyway, that wasn't a big deal, a more important blunder for the contest was that they used the wrong hot dogs for the event - yes, the wrong hot dogs! The hot dogs they provided were Nathan's skinless hot dogs, which are fatter and shorter than the Nathan's they should have used with the natural casings. Some would say that this could provide an advantage and that the skinless hot dogs are easier to eat but I completely disagree - I consistently could eat more of the Nathan's dogs with casings than the ones without in practices. Besides, I was mentally and physically prepared for the hot dogs with casings, the ones that I trained with the last two weeks that I purchased from Nathan's online store and spent over $150 on in the last two months.

All that being said, Jed and I ate the same hot dogs and he did beat me by a half of a bun. As the contest was winding down, Jed and I were very close - we were neck and neck throughout the contest in fact. I finished my third plate just ahead of Jed with about three minutes left in the contest. I stuggled a bit on hot dog's 16 and 17 and Jed took the lead. With less than 30 seconds left, I was still on 18 and Jed was finishing 19, I prepared myself for a big stuff at the end. I cleared my mouth with one last sip of water with 6 seconds left in the contest and frantically picked everything I could off of my plate and shoved it in my mouth as time expired. With mouth full, I looked down and saw that I had one whole bun left and 1/4 of a hot dog; Jed's plate showed one half hot dog and one half bun - I knew I had lost by a half of a bun. The agony of losing by so little was so painful. I held my head in my hands under the table and stopped chewing what was a losing mouthful, I didn't want to look at the hot dogs or the crowd anymore.

I eventually swallowed what was in my mouth and showed my face again but the pain of the loss is still with me. I want to sincerely thank Rich and Carlene for coming to the contest and cheering for me and everyone else so graciously, they didn't have to come and cheer but not only are they legends at the table they are true fans and loyal friends. Joey Chestnut also helped me through the contest and although I know he could have beaten my total in two and a half minutes, I was inspired by his presence. Congrats on the win Jed. Alright enough shout outs, back to my despair.

Here are some photos that I basterdized from contestant and fan, Mike Wooldridge's Flikr album (Thanks Mike):



Carlene and Rich LeFevre: The Perfect Couple




Chestnut and I before the contest, I hadn't lost yet...



The beginning moments of the contest I am trying to find a rhythm and not bend over too much



A view of all the competitors, Jed is to my right, Ron to my left, and the crowd on the balcony, which I never noticed were there



Towards the end of the contest things are heating up; Jed is looking over at my plate as Carlene, Joey, and Rich cheer from the crowd



This is what it looks like to lose by a half a bun and to see a dream fade away - dejected, ashamed, lonely, and a mouth full of shit

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks dude. You just have to focus on the positive that you put up some amazing numbers for your first year. My first year I only did 14 and 15. To have gotten 19 twice already shows you are doing well. You are going to continue getting better too. I still think you are the man. There will be tons of contests soon that you can kick some butt in and help you feel better. I hope to see you around soon.

Anonymous said...

Last post was from me. I am just dead tired and can't read or follow instructions.

Anonymous said...

Erik dont feel so bad . I started in 1997 and for 8 yrs i was only able to increase my totals from 8 in 1997 to a max of 13 1/2 in 2003 . This is your first year and you were able to pull off 19 in one contest. You can only get better . I can't thats why i retired . Good luck

Anonymous said...

Is there any way you can get into the newest qualifier they just announced?

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Thanks BB, competitive eating is all about PR and you have been a huge contributor to that end.

And Hall, as fate would have it, I am going to New York and I am going to win that qualifier to represent Thailand. There is no way I can finish second again, nothing could be that cruel.

Anonymous said...

Do it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik, I can only imgine the pain and anguish you feel. I lost by one brat in Milwaukee to Jim Hammer Hammrick. The top 5 got to go tthe championship and there were only 6 eaters, i happend to be 6th place. But i know, you did 3 events and to lose the last one by half really sucks. I didnt know you can enter the Thai contest, is it possible? Heck, i'd like to enter it too.

Anyways, you are bound to hit Coney for sure next year, but next time with totals only in dueceeee range!!! I've been cheering for you in all your contests man. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

if you can ever enter a WHINING contest, you're sure to win !!!