Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Jalapeno Poppers Results

Here are the results of the Jalapeno Poppers competition that took place in Tucson, AZ on Saturday, April 8 (current IFOCE rankings in parenthesis):

1st - 118 Joey "Jaws" Chestnut(3) $1500
2nd - 105 Pat Bertoletti(4) $750
3rd - 96 Tim "Eater X" Janus(6) $250
4th - 63 Jed Donahue(13)
5th - 45 Erik "the Red" Denmark(26)

About 7 minutes in to the competition, I am still grinding through
the second plate of 20 while Jed Donahue (orange hat), Eater X (bending down),
Pat Bertoletti (mohawk), and Joey Chestnut (facing camera) forge ahead.
Notice how everyone else in the competition seems to have given up already.



Crap. Crap. Crap. Well, this was a tight competition, I was only 70 back. I don't know why this competition sucked like it did, but the poppers were definitely more about the breading than the jalapenos or the cream cheese.

The guy who won the college competition on Friday was a local guy (probably U of A student), Loppi Joe, who ate 41 poppers was standing next to me during the pro competition. The whole stupid crowd of dirty hippies was cheering for him as he surpassed his capacity about 6 minutes in to the competition and proceeded to projectile under the table and a little on me. It didn't really stop me from eating but it never helps to see, hear, and feel that.

Anyway, Joey, Pat, and X threw up some big numbers and just left me feeling very inadequate. But no worries, I'll come back strong this weekend in Florida. Florida is the promise land where I am hopeful that the road to Nathan's will be realized for me.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Oh. my. god. If you can keep eating while someone spews on you, you are a true champion. There should be a special award for that.

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

There was a reward...45 greasy poppers in my belly and plenty of room for beers

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik, regardless, you went out there and did what you could. Good job. i wish i can attend more events, i can't afford the traveling right now. I live in Chicago. Keep up the hard work.
-Domenico 'The Sicilian'

Anonymous said...

Good job on the poppers Erik I'll see in Florida on Saturday.

Bubba

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»